Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Open Nodes

When I was attending the Denver Publishing Institute in the summer of 2008 I was enduring a crash course in what the publishing industry was about. And while they overwhelmed our brains with info that isn't exactly the end game practice of publishing, it certainly gave a glimpse of the industry as a whole and bred motivating enthusiasm for jumping head first into achieving career goals. But much of its focus was building a network of publishing professionals that shared the same passion to get books into the hands of everyone. They tried to impart the importance of networking. Not in a sleazy "get what you want" kind of way--though that aspect is certainly present everywhere--but more in the let's all work together to get where we want to be kind of way.

While this new perspective of networking was wedging its way into my brain matter I lucked upon a blog by a young independent author I'd been following at the time. Blake Butler was in the midst of his early days of getting his name out there. Writing bizarre fiction and doing his damnedest to get his work in front of people. He wrote a blog that really struck home for me and echoed the thoughts coming at me from DPI, but with a stronger more down to earth approach. His argument basically stated, Be an Open Node.

If you read his post it list ways that you can be a solid literary citizen. Write to authors you like to tell them you enjoy their work. Review author's work you enjoy to share why someone ought to read it as well. Interview other writers. And start a journal. His ideas are certainly very specific to the literary world of up and coming writers trying to make a name for themselves, but I've since begun to assimilate his thoughts into my own view of networking.

I approach networking mostly as an opportunity for me to help others. I truly enjoy helping folks that I meet who can honestly express their passion for something they want career wise. I may not personally have the opportunity that person is seeking, but if I can connect them with someone who might, or someone who knows someone who might, then I'd like to help. I'm not advocating for giving up what you want so someone else can get what they want or spending all of your time focused on helping others, but don't shy away from opening doors for others if you can possibly guide them on a short length of their journey.

When I was set to move from one department of my company to another, I thought of who might replace me. The fella who'd taken my place when I was in another part of the company didn't exactly have a lot of opportunities to expand his horizons and while I don't make claims to getting him nearer to any goals he might have personally, I do feel good helping him get into a better work environment. I spoke with my supervisors and recommended he be given a chance to contribute. And it worked.

I was invited to my old publishing program in Denver to talk to students there this last August. I met one who was moving to Portland and interested in getting into comics after an internship. We met for coffee and I later introduced her to two people I thought might be good resources in the field who'd likely have more doors to open for her. About two months later she's working for one of the people I introduced her to. This makes me feel amazing. Again, I didn't have an opportunity ready for her myself, but if I can be an open node willing to assist someone on their journey then I consider it a win.

Be an Open Node. Be willing to help others achieve success. Encourage those you care about and those who show a genuine passion for a positive pursuit. Be optimistic that despite all of our terrible flaws as humans we have the ability to positively impact others. Be an Open Node.

No comments:

Post a Comment